Links

Apr 6, 2009

I Found This Article, Dial-a-Therapist! Okay I Learn Something New Daily, That Is For Sure!


Okay in a way I found this to be kind of interesting yet a bit strange, at least for me. Then again I had to stop and think this is 2009. I mean you all have to realize I was born in 1956 okay? Think about that for a moment okay, I lived through the 70's! Peace man! lol! We did not worry about therapy, we all had our own way of dealing with whatever was going on in our lives, hell in the 70's, we self medicated, lol!

Anyways, the article says instead of us trekking to a counselor’s office, we might consider just picking up the phone. I guess a new study from Northwestern University suggests that depressed patients who regularly talk it out with a counselor over the phone are much more likely than those who have in-person sessions to stick with treatment (and as likely to get relief).

Phone therapy can be a good option for people who find it too difficult to travel to a therapist’s office because of where they live or a physical or mental condition that makes it hard for them to get around, says lead researcher David C. Mohr, PhD, a professor at Northwestern University.

The drawbacks: Face-to-face sessions may improve our connection with our therapist (she can pick up on nonverbal cues), and most insurance companies don’t cover phone therapy. In-person treatment remains essential for people with severe mental health issues, such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Ribet

No comments: